
So I decided that after almost 4 months in this exotic place it's about time that I get some of my thoughts down, a little memoir of my adventure in the land of berets. Being here I have learned so much about French culture, but more so about the influence of American culture on the french. One of my professors (this cute little man who wears clothes that are too big for him) was giving a lecture about 'la guerre froide' (the cold war) and explained something that sparked so many thoughts in my head. I dont know much about history, politics and all that, but this is what I understood, keeping in mind that the discussion was in french, not english. So... In an attempt to economically aid the European countries after World War II, the US set up something called the Marshall plan. They basically gave billions of dollars to the allied countries of Europe to build a stronger economy and fight communism. And for the most part, this worked. The economy in Europe rose and in turn, they had more money to spend. And in choosing where to buy their products from, they automatically turned to the US who had helped them to get that money. Apparently the US knew that if they threw this money at Europe it would come back to them through commerce in the future. So what my teacher says is that this is the reason that there is such a strong influence of American products, media, culture etc in Europe, especially France. Now of course this is just one man's opinion. I havent done the research to agree or disagree with him but i found it very interesting to hear. America is everywhere here. I cant go anywhere without hearing american music (even the french bands sing in english, with the cutest french accent of course) . All the big movies that come out in the states make there way over here, with french dubbing. Most people I meet know english and usually know more about american history and politics than I do. And when I say I am from California people throw up a westcoast at me. For me, this is not only just amusing but its really quite wonderful. People understand (or think that they understand) Americans. They are interested in hearing about my life, and most of them want me to take them with me home. My french boyfriend (... now, ex-boyfriend) always got a "ooh la la, an american girlfriend?" when he told his friends where I'm from. Regardless of all the bullshit that Bush has done for the image of my homeland, people like us. So, thank you George Marshall and good job on your Plan.

3 comments:
Wow, that was pretty sweet. You are having a good time and learning too. Way to go!
Hey Simone- I enjoyed your blog. I told you I am living vicariously (sp?) through you. I can relate to your experiences. You are right about the Marshall Plan, not to mention the U.S. has made serious efforts to export it's cultural, political and economic values abroad ever since.
The other thing you mentioned is how much foreigners know about our government and politics. That was my experience too while traveling when i was in college and found myself a little embarrassed. I guess that's partially why I teach. Americans are spoiled and we don't even know it. All the Best!
Dave Dillon
Im glad to hear you are doing well. I havnt heard about you in ages. Ross crys everytime he mentions your name. Things dont really change back at home. Although I did get into the photo school in NY. Keep up the writing. Now lets see some photosssssss
Post a Comment