17 December 2007

I have to do this. Sorry to my rooommates who have heard this lecture about 3,000 times. But I have to pose a question to the world, something that I will never understand. Isnt it weird how we control animals? Like we keep other animals as pets, animals that should be and could be out in the wild, doing their own thing. We raise animals for food, use them for entertainment, and sit upon their backs for transportation. There was one day here where we went on an excursion to a town called Arles (this is the place where VanGogh cut off his ear). In the course of one day I experienced the torture of animals in multiple forms. First we went to a bullfight and watched as a crowd cheered on a man killing a bull. One of the saddest things I have ever seen, but great pictures. Then for lunch I ate a stew made from the cousin of that very bull that I had watched get killed. From there we travelled to an area known as the Camargue. Using animals for another form of human pleasure, we rode horses through the flatlands of France. But one the horses got a little revenge on Brie by kicking her ass on to the ground. And we had bug bites for days. They sure got back at us alright. After that day I always felt something weird about the fact that humans are the only animal that do that kind of shit to other species. Das some fucked up shit right der. That's all I want to say about that for now. I think I'm going to go eat a steak.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omg I totally know what you mean, that is sooooo weird man. maybe next time you could ask one of the eternal questions i have...why do people like nickleback?

Paul said...

Ok so here are some arguments in favor of the corrida (very personnal but true)
The corrida is seen by some people (like me) as a sort of art. A corrida is something as beautiful as a painting (observing a painting could be weird too: it's just colors).
The corrida is a great thing for the environment: raising a bull require a lot of space and a 'green managment', so those lands are saved from building or industrial agriculture. (this argument is worth for camargue). And then all the bulls raised are not killed, at the maximum 10 percent.
As you said you ate a steak.
If we consider the point of view of the animal it's better to die in the arena than in a factory. The bull finds back the atmosphere of a fight. This element is prooved by the fact that the meal of the bull is very less hard after a corrida than after the factory. Which means that it is not stress.
The corrida is very important for the local economy. No corrida means no job for a lot of people.
Sorry if this comment looks like angry, it's really not my intention. I must recognize that the subject is sensitive to me.
Sorry for my english.